Friday, February 17, 2017

Week 6: Greatness

Tomorrow I leave to start my journey to D.C. It has been a trying past few weeks waiting for this opportunity to begin, and I am almost to the starting line. Tuesday I am scheduled for my first badging appointment where I will meet Mr. Luke Leyh, my supervisor for the moment being, and will be fingerprinted and given my very own Museum identification. That day will prove to be my first test run on the metro.

I have discussed in great detail the steps I have taken to receive this internship, but have yet to discuss why I chose this program, or perhaps even what I hope to gain from this internship. This week I shall discuss my aspirations and motivation.

When I was little, my grandfather always told me I was meant for great things and that I was going to do something important with my life. I spent a lot of time growing up thinking about what I could do to achieve this seemingly unattainable expectation of greatness, and recently have just begun to figure it out. To make a difference or be great does not necessarily mean one has to be paraded for their achievement or must go through a great feat to obtain said greatness, but could be as simple as learning and passing knowledge onto others. I have become enlightened, if I may say so, to the realization that knowledge is great and powerful, no matter how cliche that sounds. Interning at this museum allows me the chance to continue my studies being surrounded by scholars, victims, archives, evidence, and a number of other resources primary and secondary; having the Library of Congress only a few blocks away as an added bonus. The knowledge gained from this internship will prove to be more knowledge than I can ever hope to gain in a classroom; no offense to the UCF faculty reading this. 

However, academic knowledge is not the only type of knowledge I hope to acquire, working in a professional atmosphere, surrounded by many types of people, and situated in our country's capital will also- I hope- teach me many things. And I hope to take these new skills and education with me to spread the word about how dangerous discrimination, prejudice, racism, and any other type of injustice is to people and society. If I can have one person listen to what I have to say and leave with a different perspective than when I first met them, I believe that to be a great act. That person will than in turn change someone else's perspective. In hindsight, it is not just one person whose life I can impact, but a chain of individuals who will hopefully walk away with a new found respect and dignity towards all types of people. I believe this to ultimately be what teachers and professors strive to do every day, and I hope accomplish their endeavor. I know my life was changed by a very special high school teacher, Mrs. Rheingold, whom I took my first Holocaust class with. She encouraged me to volunteer at the Holocaust Museum back home and signed me up for my first trip to Poland and Israel. She impacted me and the way I view the world, and I hope to be that impactful someday.

This internship can open up so many new doors for me, and the people I'll meet and the wisdom acquired will be far greater than I can imagine. I hope to share this passion for justice and equality with everyone I come by. To be surrounded by an entire community of like-minded peoples is going to be quite the adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment