Friday, February 10, 2017

Week 5: Transportation and Accommodation

     It is one more week until I leave and the butterflies have started to flutter. I am still in the process of planning transportation to and from the Holocaust Museum, trying to decipher the different lines and stops. Also, my family and I have weighed our options about how we plan on arriving. Plane? Too much luggage. Auto train? Too expensive. So we decided that the best option was to drive up in my car. We went to the Mini dealership to make sure my car was fit to drive the fourteen hours and replaced my tires with the proper tread necessary to drive on ice and snow. My mom said she would ride up with me and then fly back. So we decided we would drive straight through the night without stopping and get there by the 19th of February. That would give me a week to practice mapping out the routes from Maryland to D.C. 

     Upon our arrival in Maryland, I already have accommodations at my aunt and uncle's house. Though they live in a house with their daughter and two grandkids, they have furnished their sunroom into a bedroom. I have been informed that I will have to use the kitchen bathroom, and shower in the same bathroom as the three other guests; so mornings and evenings may prove difficult. However, it is free housing- and seeing as how I still have to pay rent for my college apartment- it is the best option. Many interns on the internship Facebook page have asked for roommates as they plan on living either in apartments or on the GW campus. Seeing as how housing prices in D.C. are super expensive, I'm curious to see how this will work. I will update in a future blog any information I hear about the living situations in D.C.

     With transportation to Maryland and housing all figured out, the last thing left to do is figure out the best way to get from my aunt's house to the Museum. Many have suggested that I take the metro, however the metro has various lines and colors and routes and it proves to be more difficult than expected. Being a native Florida girl who has never had to take a train anywhere, this is going to be one of the most challenging first steps toward my internship. Once I arrive in Maryland, I plan on doing a practice run to rehearse what stops to take and how to reach the museum once the metro arrives in D.C. Though I have most everything else planned out, once I figure out how the metro works, I will be all set to start my internship in the blustery, busy district that is the nation's capital. 

No comments:

Post a Comment